Friday, April 24, 2009

The short fall down from 2006

I am a real fan of Jars of Clay. By real fan I mean that I listen to all of their albums, not just their first one. Actually, their first album, while containing some good songs, is probably their second-worst effort. Don't freak out; it's their first album. It's not supposed to be the best.

However, I am also a fan of Jars of Clay in the sense that I think that they are one of the best bands in all of music today. Lead singer Dan Haseltine is an excellent lyricist, and the band's ability to reinvent their genre on every album while still remaining consistent to "sounding like Jars of Clay" is a feat that has only ever been paralleled by few in the industry. They released two early versions of album songs on "Closer EP" last year, and they were great, so you can imagine my excitement when I heard that Jars was finally releasing their new album, "The Long Fall Back To Earth," on April 21 (I learned of this several months ago, so the excitement was practically fever pitch by last week. Like I said, I'm a real fan).

Before I begin, let me explain my Jars of Clay hierarchy. While I admire the musicianship on all of their albums, I have something of an "elite four" list of Jars albums which I think are a cut above their other work and several cuts above most music in general. My favorite album is their third effort, "If I Left the Zoo," followed closely by the evenly matched seventh and fifth albums, "Good Monsters" and "Who We Are Instead." Their second album, "Much Afraid," rounds out my elite list. I still enjoy all or parts of all of their other albums (although I have not listened to "Christmas Songs" very much), but they aren't quite in the same league.

Anyway, that long explanation is merely there so that I can say that "The Long Fall..." falls a little short of the elite list.

The album starts out with the instrumental "The Long Fall," which is a pleasant enough tune that leads directly into "Weapons," a track questioning why people rush to fight all the time. The first thing that is evident on this album is the increased production values. There are many more layers on all of these songs than there were in any other Jars album so far. The change is probably due to Jars' self-production and going independent with their own record label, Gray Matters. However, while the production values are immediately evident, there is another, unfortunate aspect of the album that also begins to manifest itself on "Weapons."

Repetitive lyrics can work if there's something else interesting going on (or if the recording somehow sounds iconic-"Hey Jude" made itself an instant classic with three minutes of "Na, na, na, na-na-na-naaaa"), but otherwise they fall rather flat. While Jars usually produces stellar lyrics, many songs on "The Long Fall..." are either repetitive or cliche or both, and "Weapons" is one of those songs.

"Lay your weapons down / Lay your weapons down / There are no enemies in front of you." That's the chorus, and they sing it a fair amount. It makes the song a little ho-hum in parts, particularly because the song sometimes doesn't have a lot of different musical elements working together to complement the lyrics.

"Weapons" is followed by "Two Hands," the first single for the album. It is also rather cliched and repetitive, but those two qualities will probably assure good radio play on CCM stations ("If I had two hands / Doing the same thing / Lifted high"). "Heaven" is up next, and, while the music is good (driving guitars and synths), the lyrics swing back and forth between weird and commonplace (it gets really good at the end, however). While none of these songs are "bad," per se, they may prove a little disappointing to fans who know the caliber of songwriting in which Jars usually operates.

Fortunately, "Closer," one of the two best songs on the album, comes in just in time to keep the album interesting. "Closer" is much more electronic than essentially anything else that Jars has ever done, and it served as a kind of introduction to their new sound when the original (slightly better) version was released on last year's "Closer EP." The quirky lyrics speak of how relationships can only work when quality time and attention are put into them, and they are also much more interesting than those of the preceding songs. There's even a Charlie Brown reference!

"Closer" is followed by the also excellent "Safe to Land," a song that finds the singer wondering if he is forgiven. The metaphor of a plane almost out of fuel is used to show the need for other people. The layered production is also put to great use here as it creates an expansive feel.

Coming in at track seven is "Headphones." I cannot say enough positive things about this song. The lyrics condemn the American habit of lapsing into easy apathy by retreating into media. Here, the lyrics of the chorus are repetitive, but they work with other vocal and musical layers to create a hauntingly beautiful sound. The verses are great, Katie Herzig's vocal accompaniment is great, Haseltine's falsetto vocals are great, everything about this song is great. Seriously.

After these three pop masterpieces comes the pedestrian but relatively fun "Don't Stop," followed by "Boys (Lesson One)" a simple but poignant letter to the band members' sons (it's mostly electronic, with a little bit of guitar and what sounds like canned strings [although they probably are real]). Next in line is "Hero," a rather out of place near-rocker that is quite good - except, that is, for the chorus. "We need a hero / To save us from ourselves"? Really? Come on guys, you can do better than that. That complaint aside, I'm unsure as to why this song wasn't the single, as it is upbeat and was featured on a trailer for NBC's "Kings."

Following "Hero" is "Scenic Route," a good folksy song with lyrical themes similar to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Dangling Conversation." My favorite line is when Haseltine sings, "We sit here like novels we picked up but never read through / You think you know my ending / I think I know yours too." The lyrics are complemented by some jangly guitar to create a relaxing but meaningful tune.

Unfortunately, "Scenic Route" is followed by "There Might Be A Light" and "Forgive Me," two instantly forgettable songs that also suffer at times from repetitive or cliched lyrics. The album is closed by the electronic and simple "Heart," a good song and one that is unlike most of Jars' other closers.

Jars' last non-Christmas studio album, "Good Monsters," came out in September of 2006. It was generally regarded as one of their best albums (and rightfully so). Two-and-half years later, they have managed to switch genres once again, going from straight-up rock to electronic 80's sounds. There are quite a few legitimately good songs on this release, and a few great ones, but I can't help but wish that they had done just a bit better.

It probably isn't fair. I hold Jars of Clay to a higher standard than most acts in the music world because I know that they're capable of so much, and it isn't as if anything on this album approaches any level of banality. Even the songs I'm not huge on, I don't hate. However, I've heard better from these gentlemen.

That being said, it's still a pretty good album, probably ranking as my favorite or second favorite Jars album not in "the elite four." It's definitely worth buying, and Jars fans will love hearing "Closer," "Safe to Land," "Headphones," "Boys" and the like. I just wish that there was a bit less filler.

1 comment:

Juca said...

Thank you so much for the review Jark fellow. I see your point in each song and as I think they are most understandable, I could say that I am quite pleased with everything on the album, even those details you highlighted as being weak. I mean, they do not really bother me.

I think I have had so much of Safe to Land from the EP that I am not quite listening to it anymore on the album. And Heart is very slowly growing on me, very very slowly. Despite Closer is one of the songs of the band I have listened to more ever, I still can't get enough of it.

PLEASE, I need to know what the Charlie Brown reference in Closer is, I read the lyrics again and I really do not know. If you could please answer me by email: juniorbhbr@yahoo.com. Thanks. Juk.